Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Trees Beyond Christmas

'Windswept Sentinel' is the name of this design. Many of my favorite places to hike or camp are surrounded by forest lands, beaches and inlets with windswept trees. This tree reminds me of being out in the wild. Is it sunrise or sunset, dawn or dusk?

This time of year, many of us bring a Christmas tree into our home, to celebrate the holiday. I love having a real tree in the house. The smell of pine, or whatever that good-tree-smell is officially called, makes me happy!

I grew up on a farm, and I have many memories of climbing trees, planting tree seedlings, making forts in stumps of trees and hiking along trails where filtered-sun shone through the tree branches onto our path.

I continue to have good feelings about trees and have hooked many rugs that use trees as a backdrop or focal point.

In 'Apple of My Eye' the tree branches dance across the rug. The brightly colored motifs reflect the heartfelt emotion and sentiment of the wording. A concrete reminder to cherish the loved ones in your life.

In 'Bunny Lullaby' a rabbit naps serenely in a fruit ladened orchard.

Fir boughs and foxgloves decorate this little nuthatch's nest in 'Expecting'.

In 'Sanctuary' the roots of the tree spread out to cover and protect the salmon below, while the branches reach out to surround and watch over the bird above.

So, while it is great to have a real tree in your house for a month out of the year, consider hooking some trees in your rugs, so you can have them indoors, year round.

Please visit my ETSY or contact me to learn more about my patterns, designs, or hand dyed wool.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment