Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Color Studies

Making a small hooked mat is a perfect way to experiment with color. Maybe you are in-between projects yet feel the need to have wool and hook between your fingers, so you grab a small design and commence with the hooking. Perhaps you have a large pattern and want to experiment with the colors on a smaller scale, before you commit to using them in a large rug.

These scenarios were just the case for me, earlier this summer, when I was finishing a rug. If you are like me, you most likely have another project vying for your attention, before you have even completed the current one! I had a big rug design/idea in my head and sketch book yet I had not quite settled on the lay-out of the elements. I also had a couple of color ideas, inspired by antique rugs that I was trying to decide upon. So, picking up a small design to hook seemed like a good way to take care of my desire to hook, and to experiment with the design and colors.

As I hook a small mat, I am experimenting with many aspects of the rug. There are several questions I try to answer when I first begin to hook. It's not a stringent strict test, but more like an eye-opening exploration of ideas. A flow of give and take, a journey, with a hopeful open-mindedness on the road of discovery. There is a feeling of anticipation and excitement as I begin.

What design elements "work"? Do I want part of the motif to fade into the background. Should I use a thin strip or beauty line to outline an area of the motif to make it stand out more than another area? What wools do I want to use. Do the textures I hook with "read" darker or lighter once hooked? If I use an as-is texture, is there a dyed-wool or one of my marbleized wools that will also work with it or could be substituted to add interest and depth to the piece? Do the values of the wools reflect the feeling I am trying to achieve. Do I want my neutrals to lean to a warmer or cooler tint? What hooking techniques will I use? How about using hit-and-miss (as a way to use up already cut strips). Will non-directional hooking for the background be a viable choice as a way to give a naive-sort of look to the piece, and as a way to move color, or will I use a blending technique. Do I need to dye wool, or will my stash be enough to complete my rug with the color choices I am hoping to use? Do I want to finish the rug with a crocheted edge or a different finishing technique?

Below are some photos that show how I hooked some of these ideas into my mats.

My large, yet unnamed rug, is 28" x 50". I am excited to get hooking on it. I really had high hopes to use my already cut wool worms, as a way to deplete that ever growing pile. Yet, I have to confess, I suffer from an affliction of wanting "just the right color", so the dye pots are never far away in case I need to augment my wool supply.

These little color studies are so fun to hook! They can be used as home decor, wall hangings, mug mats, or to use as gifts or donations.

Happy Hooking!

 

8 comments:

  1. Are those experiments the mats for FF? You think way to deep for me--lol--I just hook, don't like it, take it out. But that's why your famous for fabulous rugs I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you Marie! And yes, maybe they are for our Hook-In, if I can part with them!

      Delete
  2. It is a great idea and I love your finish. I just finished a rug I fiddled with more than I have any other rug. Is that a sign I am not confident or is it a sign I have a better eye who knows but I am happy with it now. I do hate to pull out pieces that I put in.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your rug is beautiful Cathy! Thank you! The finish is crocheted strips! The fastest way to finish in my book!

      Delete
  3. i love your color stories...so soft & gentle!
    L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sweet of you! Thanks Lori! I SHOULD be hooking pumpkins and such, but I just can't let go of summer colors yet!

      Delete
  4. I'm ready for small mats as well. I want to try a few different color ways that aren't my 'normal' and I don't want to commit to a large rug. Besides I know some babies are due soon and those lighter, softer colors would be a good stretch for me. Thanks again Marijo for the 'nudge'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle! These small projects do make wonderful baby gifts! Good luck with trying softer colors! Let me know if I can help with more than just a 'nudge'!

      Delete