Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Scout's Observation

It has been 15 years since I reread Harper Lee's acclaimed book, To Kill a Mockingbird. My son was in sixth grade and it was an assigned book for him, but of course, I had to read it too! It is just that good!

One of my girlfriends, recently reread the book, and made me aware of this observation (as seen through Scout's eyes). I thought you would enjoy revisiting this passage too!

"Aunt Alexandra was hooking a rug and not watching us, but she was listening. She sat in her chair with her workbasket beside it, her rug spread across her lap. Why ladies hooked woolen rugs on boiling nights never became clear to me."

It is perfectly clear to me! How about you?

Thank you Harper Lee, for giving a shout-out to us rug hookers!

 

10 comments:

  1. Guess I'm going to have to read it again as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, me too Mary! And you are welcome! mj

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was listening to that book on CD last week (while hooking of course) and was amused when I heard that passage. :)

    Merrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found rug hooking character in a book I was reading awhile ago too - not too often though! I'm trying to remember if I've ever read this book - might have to get it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. probably the same reason I liked driving DS and his friends around - they seemed to think if I was doing something else, I wasn't listening :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool. Thanks for sharing that with us!
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete